Background





Sunday, January 6, 2013

2012 Kitchen Goals Wrap Up



I got ahead of myself  and posted my 2013 Kitchen Goals before my 2012 Wrap Up, oh well....

For the past 3 years (2010, 2011, 2012) I have set 12 goals for the kitchen, one for each month of the year.  This is so much easier than setting a bunch of resolutions and trying to accomplish them all at once.   Here's a recap of my successes and failures for the 2012.

Goal 1 - Pantry Challenge - SUCCESS
Did it!  Third year in a row.

Goal 2 - Clean out utensil drawer - SUCCESS
Did it!  And it is still clean and functional

Goal 3 - Limit dining out/take out to 2 - 3 times per month - SUCCESS
We have done really well with this one, so much so it is almonst non-existant.  Now we treat eating out/take out/or delivery as a treat because we want to, not because we have to.

Goal 4 - More veggies in our menu plan- SUCCESS
Much, much better this year, especially with the addition of salads for dinner at least once a week.  I'm still working on the variety of veggies we eat, but our overall intake is much higher.  We have also added a greater variety of fruits to our meals

Goal 5 - Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day- FAIL
This was the 3rd year this has been on my goal list.  I never got around to it, especially with an emphasis on eating better and losing a few pounds, this just didn't seem like a good fit for our family.  I'm dropping this from my kitchen plans

Goal 6 - Better utilization of garden produce -- less waste - FAIL
Our house flooded at the end of May and the entire summer was spent trying to get it repaired and livable again.  The garden fell by the wayside, there just weren't enough hours in the day to deal with contrators and a garden.

Goal 7 - Dehydrate and freeze more - HALF SUCCESS
Since the garden never really got off the ground, there wasn't much to freeze, but I did use the dehydrator to make dried apples several times this fall.  They have become a favorite snack and a great addition to homemade granola.

Goal 8 - Update Family Favorites and Freezer Cookboooks - HALF SUCCESS
Freezer Cookbook is up to date and the Family Favorite Cookbook is almost finished.  I'm just waiting for some pocket sheet protectors to come in and I can add the tabs and cover pages.  It should be a very valuable resource once it is complete.

Goal 9 - Learn to make and freeze cream corn - SUCCESS
My very good friend and I, following my Granny's directions, prepared and froze and entire bushel of corn.  We had 13 quarts of corn between the two of us.  We have certainly decided to invest in a Pampered Chef Corn Cutter for next year!

Goal 10 - Create a list of family favorite salads - SUCCESS
We have added several main dish salads to our menu rotation this year, including Chicken Caesar Salad, Chef Salad, Layered Salad and Revised Southern Cobb Salad

Goal 11 - Eat at the table and not in front of the TV - FAIL
This is just not our style.  We get home late from work, practices, tutoring and we just want to relax and eat.  I don't think we will ever be a eat at the table all the time family

Goal 12 - Let my kids cook more - SUCCESS
We did this alot this year.  Bubba is fully functional at making himself breakfast in the morning and he is also very good about making sandwiches and cereal when he wants a snack - I know that is not really cooking, but he is much more independent in the kitchen and not so dependant on me.  Next step for him is more "real" cooking.  Boo Boo is my constant sous chef and kitchen helper.  She helps me make everything.  She is great at putting things in the crockpot when she gets home from school so it is not over cooked when we all sit down to eat around 8:00.  She will be doing more independent cooking next.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!