Background





Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Tuesday Garden Party #2


I posted a few weeks ago about my struggle with weeds in my raised beds.  Here they are, weed free (at least for the moment) and ready to plant!

I amended most of the beds with fertilizer and enriched dirt.  I also treated for vermin.  I have fought squash bugs for the past 2 years and I lost half of my strawberries to ants last year, so I mixed in some bug killer, trying to avoid those issues.   




And here are my remaining strawberries (This bed was full of strawberries, but due to the ant infestation last year, this is all that are left.)  Look at all those blooms and infant berries!  Our very warm spring has caused them to bloom early, I just hope we don't have a late season frost...   I have ordered 30 more strawberry plants, just waiting on them to arrive and get those in the ground as well.
 
This weekend I will begin planting tomatoes, cucumbers and peppers.  Hopefully by mid June I will have my first homegrown salad. 

Linking up at

4 comments:

  1. Hi! I'm visiting from Tuesday Garden Party. You have it looking good! I need to stop fooling around on the computer and start getting my beds in order.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your raised beds look neat and tidy for starting the gardening year. Personally, I would hesitate to add any kind of pesticide to a bed where food is to be grown. Are you not concerned about absorption of chemicals?

    ReplyDelete
  3. After losing my squash, zucchini and cucumbers the past 2 years to squash bugs and worms as well as over half my strawberries to ants, I decided I had to either take action or give up. I've tried all the home remedies and organic products, but just wasted my money and time as I pulled up more and more of my devastated plants. After researching I decided to try treating my soil first in order to kill the eggs and avoid using any type of treatment on my actual plants and produce. Our Ag Extension office also suggested treating the soil and letting it sit a few weeks before planting anything, allowing the pesticide to do its work on the eggs and then leach out, with out having contact with my actual vegetation.

    I did not make this decision lightly, but with our VERY mild winter and predispostion to horrendous bugs issues in the South, I decided I had to try. I am confident anything I produce still has MUCH less pesticide than anything I could buy in the grocery store, so I am comfortable with my decision.

    ReplyDelete
  4. They way you have your beds set up is so cool.

    I had a problem with squash bugs last year but I had a really good harvest before they became a problem. So I'm thinking that and early crop and then a later crop might just do it. I know several gardeners who grow organically but have to use Sevin in order to have any type of squash.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!