Background





Wednesday, December 22, 2010

How to Eat at Hom on the Go - Week 10 Meatball Subs

Welcome to Week 10 of How to Eat At Home on the Go, a series where I offer my tips, tricks and recipes to eat at home, even when your family is on the go for sports, church, school, work or anything else that may come up. You can check out the rest of the series here - Week 1, Week 2 , Week 3, Week 4, Week 5, and Week 6,  Week 7,  Week 8 and Week 9

Meatball Subs have been a dinner time staple around our house for years.  They are a true family favorite and a very quick meal with the help of a crockpot. 

Meatball Subs

Enough frozen meatballs for your family - about 5/sandwich
1 jar spaghetti sauce (we prefer Bertolli Tomato Basil for our subs)
Mozzarella or Provolone cheese (sliced or shredded)

Place frozen meatballs in crockpot, top with sauce.  Stir to make sure all meatballs are covered with sauce.  Cook on HIGH for 2 - 3 hours or LOW for 4 - 5. 
Serve on whatever bread you prefer - hamburger buns, hot dog buns, hoagie rolls, etc topped with a spoonful of sauce and the cheese of your choice. 

For years we did this with frozen meatballs from the grocery store, but this summer I started making my own meatballs and I have been threatened with my life if I ever serve the frozen grocery store variety again.   I make a huge batch, cook them in the oven and freeze in meal size portions.  4 lbs of ground beef will yield 4 meals for my family of 4.   Here is the recipe I use, courtesy of Amanda Beth from Food.com

Hubby Will Inhale Them Meatballs

4 lbs of ground beef
1 small onion
40 fat-free saltine crackers, crushed
4 t garlic powder
1 t kosher salt
2 t black pepper (this makes them just a bit spicy, add less if you want)
2 t dried basil
2 t dried oregano
4 T Worcestershire sauce

1.  Finely grate onion in large bowl, making sure to keep juice in the bowl as well.
2.  Add remaining ingredients and mix well.  Use your hands for best results.
3.  Shape into 1 - 1 1/2" balls.
4.  Spray baking pan with sides with cooking spray (or cover pan with aluminum foil and spry with cooking spray for easier cleanup)
5.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 15 minutes.   Check for doneness.   



****If freezing, remove from pan, cool.  Flash freeze, then bag for long term storage.  Tastes great from the freezer within 3 months, may be longer, but they don't last longer than that around here. 

Linked to Tasty Tuesday at Beauty and Bedlam
Delicious Dishes at It's A Blog Party
Tasty Tuesday at A Beautiful Mess
Ultimate Recipe Swap at Life as Mom

7 comments:

  1. I love making meatballs! I typically do them on a larger, "baking day" and freeze a lot of them! They are so flexible, they can go with just about anything! Thanks for sharing and Happy Holidays :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for a good meatball recipe, can't wait to try these.

    ReplyDelete
  3. April, I tried several meatball recipes and this is by far the very best one. Hope you enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just came back to update you, these are great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your recipe looks great! I love homemade meatballs...I will have to give them a try!

    ReplyDelete
  6. we love meatball subs, looks like great recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!