Background





Wednesday, November 10, 2010

How To Eat At Home Week 6 - Delicious Ham and Potato Soup

Welcome to Week 6 of How to Eat At Home On The Go, a series where I offer my tips, tricks and recipes to eat at home, even when your family is on the go school, sports, work, church or anything else that might come up.  You can check out the rest of the series here - Week 1, Week 2, Week 3, Week 4, and Week 5. 

This is a cold weather favorite.  In fact it has been on the menu twice in 3 weeks since Hotlanta finally saw temps below 80.  Whenever my kids see it on the menu board, they can't wait.  This is one of those recipes where I should have lots of leftovers, but it never happens.  Originally from allrecipes.com, I have changed it just a bit.  It is a very forgiving recipe and can be put together in 30 minutes or less, plenty of time before or after you participate in your evening activites.  I cook the soup as soon as I get home from work, refrigerate it and just warm it up after football, lacrosse, gymnastics or cheerleading.   This is a very thick soup.  I have been know to stretch it by using more water and milk.  Works great.


Delicious Ham and Potato Soup

3 1/2 c peeled and diced potatoes
1/2 c finely chopped onion
1 c diced cooked ham (I use about 2 cups)
3 1/4 c water
1 chicken bouillon cube
1/2 t salt
1 t freshly ground black pepper
5 T butter
5 T all purpose flour
2  c milk


Combine potatoes, onion, ham and water in a stockpot.  Bring to a boil, then cook over medium heat until potatoes are tender, about 10 - 15 minutes.  Stir in bouillon, salt and pepper.


In a separate saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Whisk in flour and cook, stirring constantly until thick, about 1 minute.  Slowly stir in milk as not to allow lumps to form.  Continue stirring over medium-low heat until thick, about 4 - 5 minutes. 



Stir milk mixture into the stockpot, and cook soup until heated through.  Serve immediately topped with shredded cheddar cheese and bacon bits. 


Enjoy with a piece of warm crusty bread on a cold night. 

Linked to Its A Blog Party

6 comments:

  1. We make something very similar--it is the perfect thing for a cold night!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks good- ham and potatoes are such great comfort food! And, well, I love anything topped with cheese... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I made potato soup the other day and my husband was all, "Where's the ham?!" So now I have a recipe to try that will make him happy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seen you had linked up at Eat At Home, so I dropped in to check out your ham recipe. We'll sure need recipes like this after Easter and the leftover ham!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We love soups, and this one looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!