Background





Saturday, May 15, 2010

Saturday Morning Pancakes

These pancakes are my go to Saturday morning breakfast, especially when the kids have had a sleepover and I have extra breakfast guests.  They are always a big hit.  Today I made just plain ones, but chocolate chips, blueberries and diced strawberries are delicious too.  This recipe comes from my very favorite cookbook, The Southern Living Ultimate Cookbook

Buttermilk Pancakes

2 c all-purpose flour (I use 1 1/4 c white flour and 1 1/4 c whole wheat pastry flour)
2 1/2 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
3/4 t salt
2 T sugar
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
2 c buttermilk ( I rarely have buttermilk-- add 2 T white vinegar to milk to make 2 cups, works perfectly)
1/4 c vegetable oil

Combine first 5 ingredients; stir well.  Combine eggs, buttermilk, and oil in a bowl; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. 

For each pancake, pour 1/4 c batter on a hot, lightly greased griddle.  Cook until tops of pancakes are covered with bubbles (here is where I add choc. chips, berries, etc).  Turn and cook the other side.  Serve with maple syrup or your favorite jam.

I freeze leftovers on a baking sheet and then put in a freezer proof container for a great breakfast on busy weekday mornings.

Linked to It's A Blog Party's Delicious Dishes


1 comment:

Please leave a comment to let me know you stoppped by!